Sunday 19 February 2012

Pearl Jam

I have put up a new print in my store. It's actually not a new picture (I did it a couple of years ago), but one I love. It's a graphite drawing of Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam, done on medium weight watercolour paper. The picture has a sketchy, textured look, but his face holds so much expression.
Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder c.1992




                                                                           The images I used to draw this picture came from around 1992, when the band was still new, and you would see Eddie standing, looking at the crowds in absolute wonder during shows. It's often been said that Eddie was uncomfortable with the sudden and massive rise to fame that they all had. And in a lot of photos you can see the amazement in his expression. You can see that he is just taking it all in, cause you never know how long it will last. In their case, it's lasted a pretty long time - the band just last year celebrated their 20th anniversary with a weekend festival (which very sadly, we couldn't attend).
Anyway, when I drew this, I just wanted to capture that feeling that you could see on his face. So I found several pictures that had that look, and a few that had him standing in the position I wanted, and I merged them as I drew. In all, this picture took a couple of hours from start to finish, and it ended up being exactly how I saw it in my head before starting.
Pearl Jam has inspired a lot of my work, and the band will always hold a very special place for me, because if it wasn't for our mutual love of the music, my wonderful fiance (very soon to be husband) and I would never have met.
So I guess that makes me love this picture even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment