Sunday 23 March 2014

Work In Progress!

Expect to see quite a few work in progress posts during this year, now that I have a major exhibition to work towards! I'll be doing lots of work, so will post updates of them for you all to see. 

I'm aiming for at least 25 artworks in my exhibition, and given I have 4 completed I think I'm going to be busy! So here is #3 in my Abstract Illustration, Animals series....the Moose. I've titled this one Defiance, in deference to the don't give a rats attitude that apparently Moose have. This one certainly seems to have that sort of stance. 


I love doing the backgrounds to these paintings. I start with a coloured ground, then mountains of gesso very liberally applied over the top. 


 I then use ink pouring it straight from the bottle, letting it run down the canvas. Some parts I rub in with my hands, some I leave alone. I keep repeating this process until I'm happy and then I begin with the oil pastel, adding highlights again until I'm happy with the overall composition and colours.

 
 Once I determine the right location compositionally speaking, for my animal of choice I let loose with the ink again. And this is the final result. I love my moose! Next up I think is an Emperor Penguin cradling an egg.....











Enter your email to be the first to know about art sales and receive exclusive member only discounts! 
* indicates required
Email Format
Follow on Bloglovin
You might like to read:
Book Cover
Best Sellers List 2014: A Book You Must Read
Workshops
Online Workshops, Early Bird Registration Special: Half Price!

No comments:

Post a Comment