Tuesday 11 February 2014

One of my Favourite Posters...

 

 My husband has an impressive collection of screen printed posters, mostly Pearl Jam of course! One of my very favourites is the one you can see here. Aside from the awesome design, it's Eddie Vedder as Batman!!! Who could not love it?! But even if the subject matter doesn't thrill you, the design elements should score points. Great composition, gorgeous colours - the blue is actually metallic but of course you can't see that in this picture. 

So one of the reasons I've been MIA from this blog for a little bit is that we've been painting the kitchen and then we saw the wonderful Mr. Vedder in concert two nights in a row which might just have made my year (and yes, it's only February!!). So I thought in honour of the fact that he put on a better than stellar show both nights, I'd show you my little kitchen makeover which of course includes said Eddie Vedder poster! 

So first up a couple of before photos: (you also need to bear in mind we're in a rental so while we could paint the walls and cupboards, we couldn't change anything major). 


Grubby and boring white cupboards, dull green grey walls and a disgustingly dirty yellow and off white ceiling was the palette we had to work with. 



So the colour I chose for the walls is called Self Destruct and it's kind of a latte colour. I love it! It has just the right amount of intensity while still being the neutral the landlords wanted. The trims are a glossy white and the cupboards are a gorgeous vintage duck egg blue. We had to paint the ceiling because of the grossness of it, obviously a standard ceiling white. With a bit of decluttering after it was all painted I just love the finished result. I stumbled on the curtains - they were the only set there, just sitting on the shelf at Spotlight, and the colours matched so perfectly I thought it must be fate so I had to have them! Then we framed the now infamous EV print and I chose a matt silver frame and float mounted it onto black mat board. It matches the kitchen, the retro feel and colours and just finishes it off nicely. 







 I love our big old refectory table. My husband isn't sold on the orange legs but that's ok cause I am!


 The print makes me smile every single time I walk into the kitchen. It just makes me happy!


 My antique bottle collection gets pride of place on the pantry.





 And these are a few of my favourite things: our Tiki and Pirate ceramic cups from Psycho Suzies in Minneapolis....

 and my beautiful Japanese Cherry Blossom tea cup and the gorgeous little bluebird trinket holder that belonged to my husbands' Mother.



One of my daughters' did ceramics at school last year and made this sculpture. It's McFrog Fries and I love it! I also have my growing salt and pepper shaker collection on our kitchen dresser, and they too make me smile every time I look at them! 

So what do you think? A kitchen has to be practical yes, but it also needs to hold things that you love and that you get enjoyment from. After all, you spend a lot of time in there! 









Enter your email to be the first to know about art sales and receive exclusive member only discounts! 
* indicates required
Email Format
Follow on Bloglovin
You might like to read:
Book Cover
Best Sellers List 2014: A Book You Must Read
Workshops
Online Workshops, Early Bird Registration Special: Half Price!

2 comments:

  1. The former Pearl Jam junkie I was in the 90's really, really loves that poster! I also love your collection of antique bottles. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, former Pearl Jam junkie?! They're still just as awesome - well mostly still just as awesome. And yes they are very pretty, I do love my bottle collection.

      Delete