Wednesday 22 January 2014

New Work In Progress; Sneak Peak at a New Series!

Last night I finished (bar the edges) a new piece. I have to say I'm kind of in love with it. A friend and fellow artist said that it's a requirement to be in love with your own art. But sometimes you aren't. Sometimes you are just ok with it. And that in itself is ok I think if you are trying to make a living as an artist, because the object is to get art out there, right? You don't necessarily have to love each and every piece so long as you like them and are happy with them overall.


But this one, I love. And I've figured out what this year will be, art wise that is. I've been trying to figure out what I wanted to focus on in terms of creating art, only knowing that I want to create lots of it this year. I'm applying for my first artist residency next week and while thinking about what I want to say in the application it got me to thinking about the direction I want to go in.

I love my wax paintings, and I know I want to continue to do more of them. But I also love the idea of still creating landscapes because artfully speaking, they're my first love. I do love abstract work and have been playing with the idea of abstract work but up until last night had no clue as to how to keep it 'me.' So for this year, I am going to work on three series' of works. My wax based works, with collaged images over the top, then I will also be working on what I am calling abstract illustration works for the other two series. One will focus on landscapes, the other will be animals.

You know when you make a decision and you just know it's right? Doesn't happen too often for me, but this time I know this is what I want to focus on. I watched an amazing Youtube clip the other week that talked about being successful as an artist and the one thing above all else that was reiterated through the whole clip, was to find and stick to your own style. Work in series and commit to it. That's me for this year. As I said to another artist friend the other day, 2014 is going to be the year of awesomeness and I for one am excited to get started!

On to my current work though, the one that has inspired all this excitement within me. This is 40 x 40" mixed media consisting of gesso, ink, collage and oil pastel. There are actually several layers of built up texture and colour which I think contributes to the overall feel of the piece.





My current plan is to have quite a few in this series: next up are a wolf and lion in two separate paintings, and after that I'm still thinking. What do you think?
Remember that if you'd like to learn how to do paintings like this you can sign up for my online workshops starting in March, and be sure to put your email in below for my once a month newsletter full of awesomeness.

It's super duper hot here currently and I know it's super duper freezing in other parts of the world, so wherever you are today I hope you are keeping cool, or warm as the case may be and are having an awesome day!









Enter your email to be the first to know about art sales and receive exclusive member only discounts! 
* indicates required
Email Format
Follow on Bloglovin
You might like to read:
Book Cover
Best Sellers List 2014: A Book You Must Read
Workshops
Online Workshops, Early Bird Registration Special: Half Price!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful work as always Sarah :)

    http://www.davidmunroeart.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with this! How gorgeous and perfect would this look on a white wall?!

    XO/Lena @ Root&Blossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena! I think a white wall would set it off amazingly, a friend and I were discussing exactly that last night!

      Delete