Tuesday 28 January 2014

Art Lessons Term Planner

Term 1, 2014 is fast approaching! School starts back up next Monday and my lessons start up Thursday of next week. So I thought I'd do a run down each week of what the plans are with examples to give you all a little sneak peak of what my amazing students will be doing!

Week 1:

A different type of self portrait! We'll be using ink, watercolour and pen to create a portrait of ourselves that is full of colour and movement.  We will be looking at artists who work with portraiture in different styles, such as David Bromley (Aus) and David Walker (UK). Both these artists work in very unique styles of portraiture. 

David Walker uses spray paint on canvas to create wonderfully emotive portraits that bounce off the walls. David Bromley uses a more illustrative style, reminiscent of comic book styles of drawing. Both artists uses colour to represent the people they are painting, and it is this aspect we will be focusing on in our lesson. 

Ditty, Spray Paint on Canvas, David Walker 2011.

Lighthouse Boy, Acrylic and Embroidery on Canvas, David Bromley.

Screaming Face, Gabrella R. Washington Elementary School

I came across the above image and thought it fit perfectly with the first week's lesson. The image was taken from Michigan Arts Education Association, and I give full credit to the Gabrella, the child artist! I'd like my students to explore using different colours and compositions within their self portraits, focusing on trying to create an emotion within the picture, not just a painting of their own face. 

We'll be using watercolour for the 'hair', gouache for the face, and ink for the outlines. I can't wait to see how they turn out. I'll have a gallery of students' work up on this site which I'll be updating throughout the term. Next week I'll bring you lesson 2, where we'll be using soft pastels on black paper to create a space image!

Now, you might have noticed I missed the Featured Artist Series last week. Things have been a little hectic around here with getting my painting ready for the Mandjar art awards, finishing off my artist residency application (more about that in another post), and also painting the kitchen (which I'll also be doing a post on, it's a great interior design redo!). So I missed posting on my next Featured Artist, but never fear!! I will be back later this week to show you work by a funky modern Australian artist whose work is very illustrative and very very fun!  









Enter your email to be the first to know about art sales and receive exclusive member only discounts! 
* indicates required
Email Format
Follow on Bloglovin
You might like to read:
Book Cover
Best Sellers List 2014: A Book You Must Read
Workshops
Online Workshops, Early Bird Registration Special: Half Price!

2 comments:

  1. They all look really different and interesting. I know I'm no artist myself, but I love looking at art and admiring the beauty and effort that went into creating it. It's also pretty interesting to follow this blog and see all the techniques behind this time.

    Check out my post on relaxing here: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/01/chaotic-days-how-to-relax.html?showComment=1390935780020#c4397432430458781081

    ReplyDelete