Monday 30 December 2013

Artwork and Interior Design

Yesterday we rearranged our living room: we had a big clean up, took down the Christmas tree and decorations, decluttered and took a more minimalist (for me) approach to what we have out on display.

It's probably not a secret that I love bits and pieces. I have so many cute little knick knacks that I love looking at. Sometimes though it's easy when you have so many pieces to 'lose' them in the clutter. So to ring in the New Year we cleaned up and put some away. This was actually a big step for my husband and I (probably more so him than me). But my theory is that every few months we can change things up, put some away and put out some we haven't seen in a while. This way, we'll not only not get bored with what we have out, but it allows the focus to be on the few pieces we do have out!




 Two of my favourite things at the moment are my moose that I bought in Duluth, Minnesota in 2012, and our American flag Mickey Mouse that my sister bought last year.




As you would expect though, we do have a lot of artwork in the house! Most of it is mine, but certainly not all of it. And we have a big stack of prints and art posters that we want to get framed and up on the walls. The only problem is wall space! My new 60's style Batman and Robin tin sign was a Christmas gift and I just love it! 60's Batman is of course the best Batman hands down, and it's retro kitschyness is perfect!

Sometimes it's not easy figure out the kind of artwork, the size or where it should go though. Artfuly Gallery has a blog post about this very subject right now - it has some great suggestions for some original art for your walls (mine and others!). You can read it HERE. Do you have any favourite pieces that you simply have to have on display all the time, or do you prefer to rotate things around?










Enter your email to be the first to know about art sales and receive exclusive member only discounts! 
* indicates required
Email Format
Follow on Bloglovin
You might like to read:
Book Cover
Best Sellers List 2014: A Book You Must Read

6 comments:

  1. That's a really good plan to change up the decorations and artwork every now and then! I am kinda bored with some of the things in my house because they have been there for such a long time, so maybe I could hide some, and then swap them throughout the year.
    Thanks for the lovely advice! ^_^

    www.amiciarai.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Amicia! It's kind of like having new things without having to go and buy them! Glad I could help. :)

      Delete
  2. What we do have on our walls has been there since we got married in 2001 and very little of it would qualify as art. lol

    Cindy
    http://scribler.us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no no. Artwork is what you enjoy - it's not classified by anything else in my opinion! :)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree about 60's Batman. The BEST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I have this conversation a lot. I am and forever will be an Adam West Batman girl - he on the other hand loves comic, cartoon and movie Batman. I fear we will never ever come to a resolution on this topic!!

      Delete