Tuesday 14 February 2012

All About Me!

Welcome to my blog! Here you will be able to follow my art journey, find links to buy my work, hear about exhibitions, markets...whatever happens to pop up! 

I am currently studying for my Diploma in Visual Arts through the Brougham School of Art and Photography. When I'm at school, I get to immerse myself in all things art; painting, drawing, printmaking and art history! I absolutely love it, and with a little luck and a whole lot of perseverance, this will become my living. 

So follow my progress on here, I promise I will try to post regularly, and always post informative ramblings! 

So to start with, I guess I'll talk about the projects we're currently doing at school. We are working on a Transcription in painting. My painting to transcribe is The Theorbo Player, by Antiveduto Grammitica, c.1620-ish. This painting is actually a smaller part of a larger original painting, containing other musicians. Originally the Theorbo player was looking at a woman playing a harp.
The Theorbo Player - Antiveduto Grammatica c.1620
 So the idea is to grid up a canvas and copy the composition exactly, yet change it up so that the image is modern. I plan on keeping the background simple, changing the lute (or Theorboed Guitar) he is playing to an electric guitar, and giving him an awesome mohawk! Stay tuned for pics once it's done.

In printmaking we are working on reduction lino cuts. Making lino prints with multiple colours, by progressively cutting away the areas you want to stay the printed colour. Sounds confusing, and at first it really is. But once you get into the idea of basically working backwards, and get cutting, it's not that hard at all!  Tomorrow I'll try and get around to posting a pic of what the lino looks like as you cut it.

That's probably about it for now. Not bad for a first post!

No comments:

Post a Comment