Tuesday 17 December 2013

New Work; Playing with Ink and Wax

While it's been pretty hectic here getting ready for Christmas, posting out orders from Etsy, shopping and wrapping presents, I have managed to find a little bit of time to work on some new mixed media pieces.

I've got two pieces on the go and ordinarily I would have them done by now but I guess even when you're WonderWoman you get tired and run out of time sometimes!
Anyway, I figured I'd share what I have done with you, with a little bit of an insight as to where I'm going with these pieces. Maybe I'd get some feedback as well.


 This piece is a wax based piece with collaged vintage book papers over the top. I have just begun using oil pastels to add colour to the papers as you can see in the above pic. My plan is to build up layers of tonal variations in the grey oil pastels, then Liquetex over the top to seal it. After that I will apply India Ink in black and white to create the illustration effect that I have pictured in my head. (Unfortunately I can't show you what that looks like because a camera that takes pictures of what you are thinking has yet to be invented....). If you look at some of my recent work you'll probably get the idea though.



 Melting the wax onto the canvas is so much fun, but so time consuming! And it tends to roll once you put the hairdryer or heat gun on it, so it can be a little frustrating to say the least! I love how it looks though; it reminds me of lava the way it liquefies and moves across the surface of the canvas. I also love the way it instantly stops when you take the heat away!





This next piece is smaller - the canvas squares are only 8" x 8" each. I have since added more vintage papers, kind of like eyelashes which I think works really well. My next step with this piece is to add more ink, some oil pastel and gloss, and to figure out which way up I want it to be!! What do you think?




So hopefully I'll have these pieces finished before Christmas; with the kids on school holidays it's still undecided whether that will help or hamper my efforts to get more art done!









Enter your email to be the first to know about art sales and receive exclusive member only discounts! 
* indicates required
Email Format
Follow on Bloglovin
You might like to read:
Digital Art
Art In The Digital Age

4 comments:

  1. Very cool- I haven't heard of using wax in that form before for art. It's a cool way to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun! I want to experiment with Encaustics next year (which is basically liquefied beeswax with solvent as far as I know), I think that will be very interesting as well.

      Delete
  2. The wax art is so cool! I love the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! me too, although I am still a little undecided as to where I'm taking them next....stay tuned I'll post when they are finished!

      Delete