Friday 5 October 2012

How to be an artist in the technology age

So I am sitting here procrastinating about doing some very much needs to be done homework, and it got me to thinking about how easy it is for me to find something else that just 'needs to be done'. So instead of researching artists and doing my journal work, I am on here writing about the way technology can take over and become a business in itself.

I have a blog account (obviously!), as well as a personal facebook page which takes up WAY too much time, and an art/business facebook page. I have a Pinterest page, which is proving to be a very successful time waster indeed, but it's just oh so tempting to browse things on there..... I have a website that I try to keep updated, I have also got an online store, an  Instagram account, a Red Bubble store (that I almost never get on to anymore!) and now I have joined the Art Colony! A virtual studio for artists to congregate and give and get feedback on their work.

So how does an artist successfully manage all these technological areas AND still find time to actually produce decent artwork? I want to keep all of these things updated and network online to improve my business, but I also want to have time to not only paint and draw, but just keep up with everything else that needs doing in my everyday life...not to mention working and going to school as well!

I am going to be finished school in a couple of months, and after Christmas and New Year I'll be starting up my art lessons for children again. So I've been online searching for ideas and it's really very very useful. I've found SO MANY ideas that I can adapt into my own version and that I know will work really well for kids of all ages and will produce some awesome kids artwork. But as I browse, I often see images that inspire me to want to paint and draw and experiment! My problem is time. And it's sort of a catch 22 situation. If I wasn't browsing online forums and websites, I wouldn't get all these bursts of creativity that are overcrowding my brain at the moment. But I'd have way more time to focus on my work. But if I focus so much more on my work, I feel like I'm disadvantaging myself in this technological age. In essence, I feel like I'll be missing out on certain areas in which to not only market myself and my work, but also to get new ideas for both artwork and lessons.

So what do people do in this day and age? Do they hire people to keep up with their online self, or do they just ignore it and stay old school so to speak? Or do they keep trying to keep up with everything and leave the washing and housework to someone else? Actually.....I like that last idea....think I'll go with that one for now! :)

1 comment:

  1. hmm, I already left a comment but it's obviously lost somewhere in the ether of the web...so I said that the latter works for me, but you knew that didn't you? :o)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete