Tuesday 28 February 2012

Amongst the Waves and other things!

Had a little virus or something on my computer this week so I haven't been able blog anything! So I have a lot to talk about this time. I finished the painting for my brother and sister-in-law for their wedding present. They had left the design mostly up to me, so I went with a wave painting. My brother had been eying off mine for some time now, so I made theirs similar colours but a different design.
Acrylic on canvas
I was really happy with the way it turned out - I used Atelier and Matisse acrylics with the Atelier interactive medium. It's a liquid you can spray onto the semi-dried paint to reopen the layer and blend wet into wet, similar to oil paint but without the messy clean up! It's great to use on wave paintings because it lets you create such a liquid feel without losing the intensity of the colour.

Also this week I worked some more on my transcription painting of The Theorbo Player. I have changed him a little - I switched his collar to a hoodie to suit the style I am aiming for, and I worked on the main guitar and his clothes. There's still a fair amount of work to do, despite what I thought last week! He is certainly getting there though, and I feel like I've bonded quite a bit with him!
 
Add caption


Finally, today I put the second ink colour on my lighthouse linocut print. I think the red looks fantastic, and when the rest is cut away and the black is inked up, I know I'll be happy with it. I was a little apprehensive when it came time to put it back through the press, worrying that I hadn't set up my registration properly or that somehow it would look terrible, but nope! Once I pulled the paper back, I was very happy. It helps that I have an awesome print teacher who is very inspiring, but also very reassuring that all will be well!
Blue and red done, only black to go!
This is the original ghost print, with a second ghost layer of red.
This is just the red printed as another ghost print but with no blue underneath.
I think all of the prints so far would be able to stand on their own - the multiple colour, and the multiple colour ghost print both have their own merits as a print, as do the single colour blue, and the single colour red. I can't wait to see it finished next week!


2 comments:

  1. oh my oh my, the more I see of the transcription painting, the more I'm loving it (no!! I'm not biased.. :o)
    the linocut is looking pretty good too...
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOOMMBB
    Hating on you and your talent =]

    ReplyDelete